October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
President Obama has declared that October 2010 is the seventh annual National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Over the next two weeks, we’ll be posting about what you should be doing to protect your customers, your employees, and your business from cybersecurity dangers, including:
• Know what data and systems you have and where you have them;
• Know who has access to your data and systems;
• Assess the risks to your data and systems;
• Know which data protection laws, regulations, and industry standards apply to your business;
• Appoint someone to be in charge of your data protection program;
• Make sure your data protection program is current and comprehensive;
• Implement data security controls;
• Implement an incident response plan;
• Perform due diligence on and properly supervise third-party service providers; and
• Train your employees on how to properly use systems and handle data.
More information on National Cybersecurity Awareness Month can be found on the Department of Homeland Security website.